Changing your website’s favicon is a relatively easy task.
Create a 16×16 pixel image. You may use graphic software such as Photoshop, Gimp, Paint.net or Windows Paint. Alternatively, you can also use an online tool such as http://antifavicon.com/
Convert to ico format using free online sites such as:
The file you created in this way will have the extension .ico. Copy the file to the
/joomla/templates/<your template> directory and name it
Open a browser. Do you see your new icon? If so, congratulations. If not, that doesn’t necessarily mean you did anything wrong. Browsers are designed to minimize data traffic, so they don’t refresh the favicon every time they show a page. Even refreshing the page (F5) won’t help. So you need to refresh more thoroughly:
- Mozilla / Firefox / Safari: hold down Shift while clicking Reload, or press Ctrl-Shift-R (Cmd-Shift-R on Apple Mac);
- IE: hold Ctrl while clicking Refresh, or press Ctrl-F5;
- Konqueror: simply click the Reload button, or press F5;
- Opera users may need to completely clear their cache in Tools → Preferences.
- Chrome: Shift-F5
- If this doesn’t work you will need to delete the temporary internet files and the history and then open your page again.